The Val d’Arda has always held an extraordinary importance in the history of viticulture and wine in the Piacenza region.
The Arda Valley has always had/ covered a place of extraordinary importance both in the vine and wine histories in the Piacenza area. Already in 1500, Pope Paolo III Farnese magnified the oenological qualities of the villages of Vigoleno, Castell’Arquato and Veleja, and the presence of the vine in these areas is ascertained already at the time of “terremare” and stilts between 2000 and 700 B.C. .
Great importance to the oenological productions of the area is given by Sante Lancerio, bottler of Pope Paolo III Farnese who in a letter to Cardinal Guido Ascanio Sforza, nephew of His Holiness, not only refers to the hard undertaken travels, but gives also notice of the wines that were demanded and more craved by the Pope. In particular, he reports that “Castell’Arquato makes perfect wines of great quality and it’s a pity that this hill isn’t all a vineyard, because here the wines are as delicate as in Lombardy, as red as white”.
Cà dei Poveri
Linked to Papa Paolo III we found also the fame of Bacedasco:” All this soil is not suitable for grains, but it is so suitable for grapes that I consider the best in the Piacenza state and in particular the edible ones which are commonly called scale grapes … The wine, which is made with them in Bacedasco is dense and very coloured, so that it swells the ventricle and dulls the brain…
It’s right int the heart of the hills between Cà Poveri and Castell’Arquato that there is the heart of the Company, Cà dei Poveri or Cà Poveri.
The first news about Cà Povery estate dates back to 1675 when Mr. Bartolomeo Volpini in May 28 registers the possession of these soils by S.Lazzaro of Bacedasco.
The company borns in the Piacenza area in the fration of Bacedasco Alto where Enrico where Enrico inherits the passion for this profession from his father Adelmo.
The company has modernized with time, processing techniques have improved both in the vineyard and in the winery but the choice to produce wines with grapes from our vineyards has remained unchanged, strictly hand picked.
The estate extended with about 20 hecters, of which 12 cultivated vineyards and is between Bacedasco Alto and Castell’Arquato, Cà Pover location at about 250 meters of altitudes, in the heart of the land of fossils, with soils particularly exposed to the sun and with slopes higher than 30%. It’s here the real heart of company and it’s here where quality process begin.
1699 - 1700
14 plots of land.
This possession consists of 14 plots of lands, partly vites and partly coultivated as such as woodland and shrubland.
In the 1699, the November 14th, the lands are given to Villaggi brothers that they coultivate as woodland and shrubland until the end of 1700 and than passed to the Rocca brothers “ for sum of 18000lire, the Parma coin”.
Then traces are lost until the beginning of the last century when took place the ownership transfer to the Stradivari Family (from which the annexed locality of Costa Stradivari takes its name), who makes it the housing of slavery and then passed in the hands of the Santi Arcangelo Family that cultivate it until 1991, year in which took place the last trasnfer to Loschi Enrico, who makes it the heart and the centre of his company.